Friday, November 23, 2012

Managing 3 Middle School Classroom Interruptions

Working in a middle school classroom is a unique experience. Students are not quite little and not quite big ... although sometimes they are impressively either - or both!

I have a few strategies for managing a classroom for this age group. They are listed below under the type of situation in which I use them.

However, before I get into how I manage these amazing and unpredictable creatures, I have to share an important piece of information: I have worked very hard to nurture a classroom culture in which every person in the room is assumed to be doing their best at every given moment. The best a student (or a teacher) can do today may not be the same as tomorrow. Whatever the best may be, that is what we expect from ourselves and from each other.


The Murmur


The Scenario: The Murmur is that moment when you know a student is talking while class is in progress. You can't quite figure out what is being said, or even who is saying it! You know the general direction of The Murmur ... but just can't figure out the source.

Management Strategy: My assumption is that a student needs something in order to be their best for that day. From wherever I am when I notice The Murmur, I ask "Does anyone over there need anything in order for us to continue without interruption?" That's it. Utilizing this response does three things. First, it empowers the students to ask for something they may need. (Seriously, nine times out of ten the response is either "I need a pencil." or "I couldn't find the page we are on.") Second, it gives the students the opportunity to use their critical thinking skills. Do they really need to know what's for lunch today in order to continue class? No. Third, it promotes the classroom culture of giving your best at all times. The other students are entitled to a class without side conversations. Sometimes the alternative to The Murmur is a student who leaves class without any class notes because they did not have a pencil and were too afraid to ask!

The Talker


The Scenario: This time you know exactly who is talking. It may be while you are writing on the board or while you are addressing the class directly.

Management Strategy: Again, I assume that the student is on task ... I continue my lesson and make my way over to the student's desk. And I stand there - right in front of the desk. I give the student an encouraging smile. Sometimes I see what the issue was (again, the elusive pencil or page number) and help to rectify the problem, without deviating from my lesson. If I can't determine a problem, I wait for or create a moment when the students are engaged in silent work. (For example, I may tell the students: "Write one sentence using the Spanish verb hablar." or "Create and solve one addition problem with fractions.") During this silent moment, I whisper to the student "I heard you talking a minute ago. Did you need anything before I can continue class without interruption?" This has the same benefits as the strategy for managing The Murmur.

The Interjector


The Scenario: There is (at least) one student in every class who has great comedic timing, a sharp wit, and a way of derailing the entire class. This budding entertainer is creative and craves attention. He or she interjects witty comments several times throughout the class.

Management Strategy: I have two methods of working with The Interjector, Recruit and Limit.
  • The philosophy behind the Recruit method is that I have an untapped resource in my room, someone the other students relate to in a way they will never relate to me, someone clever and quick, someone who thinks a bit differently than I do. This person has something to offer my class! After an off-topic interjection, I respond with "You have such a great sense of humor! I'd like your next comment to be a clever way to remember one of the topics from today." Suddenly, the student needs all attention on class in order to interject at will. And anything useful gets written on the board as part of that day's lesson! 
  • The philosophy behind the Limit method is that sometimes I just do not have the class time to allow any off-topic interjections. When The Interjector gives any comments that are not on-topic, I simply raise two fingers in the peace sign. The means, peace out - you are going too far. 
By using these two methods together, the student is empowered to use their wit for good!

These are just three scenarios and the management strategies that work for me in my classroom. I hope you find them helpful! I would love to hear how you have been able to adjust these strategies to work for you!


2 comments:

  1. Yowzer! What an inspiration. Wish you were one of MY teachers back in the day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Come back soon! Some of my posts would be helpful in the corporate world, as well. For example, Pinterest Basics would be great for you. Then stay tuned in for Digital Curation.

      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete