Saturday, November 24, 2012

What's your mantra?

I wake up every day and have the same thought: What if today is the day my students remember?

I try to keep this in mind whenever I interact with students. Every interaction with another person leaves a print on that person's life. It may be positive, negative, or easily forgotten. How can I know in the moment which category I am in?

I have no way of knowing where the student is in life at the moment of our exchange. A student who appears defiant may be dealing with some personal issue outside of school. How will they remember me and our conversation during a delicate time? Will I have been compassionate? Abrasive? Caring?

Some students in need of positive reinforcement act out in negative ways, gaining attention through inappropriate or disruptive behavior. What do these students most need from me? Do they need to know that I believe they can do better? That I have high standards for them, and I expect them to reach those standards?

It is a difficult thought to have at times: What if today is the day my students remember? But if I try to hold this thought throughout the day and let it guide me, at least I will look back and know that my students will remember the best I had to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment